When a company fails to execute its strategy, the first thing managers often thinks to do is restructure. But research shows that the fundamentals of good execution start with clarifying decision rights and making sure information flows where it needs to go. If you get those right, the correct structure and motivators often become obvious.
Guide for foreigner working with Indonesian:
- The boss is director, not facilitator. While being egalitarian is a very good trait to have, people here prefer you prepare something before meeting.
- Be clear about your expectations. Ask them to prepare 3 ideas to you before tell them what your opinion is, ask input before make decision, ask them to ask you before you ask them, ask all the time. Its not that Indonesian lazy and doesn’t initiative, but thats just how we work.
- Be careful about what you say. Event passing idea sometimes can be perceived as you already made decision.
- It’s necessary evil. Get used to it, but avoid it as much as possible.
- Bad meeting schedule is worse than bad meeting.
- Left your phone. Close your laptop.
- Keep it shorter than 1 hour.
- Make a note. Assign time and people who responsible for a particular subject that you discuss in the meeting. Share the note afterward.
So how to know when you start to advertise then?
Get a metric across the whole product and validate your assumption by experimenting in 9-10 different content type in 2-3 months. If something seems like a good hit, you can start advertise, and then validate the result against the metric again.
- You should avoid focusing on getting customer to buy from you and instead concentrate on how customer make purchase decisions. This might be like a minor distinction but its actually profound one and fundamental to the B2B seller practitioner.
- You should tightly align your sales and marketing teams to support the customer journey from start to finish – breaking down the historical barriers between those functions in the process. As a result you would create consistent and relevant tools, messaging and guidance to shape and simplify the purchase journey, drives sales and ultimately increase customer loyalty.