When a company fails to execute its strategy, the first thing managers often thinks to do is restructure. But research shows that the fundamentals of good execution start with clarifying decision rights and making sure information flows where it needs to go. If you get those right, the correct structure and motivators often become obvious.
Short & sobering. Shape of Design would build your understanding on how to treat design as a medium. The author made the book free to read on the website, so I think it would a cardinal sin to not mention it here in here. A must read.
He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.
–Twilight of the Idols, Nietzsche
Guide for foreigner working with Indonesian:
- The boss is director, not facilitator. While being egalitarian is a very good trait to have, people here prefer you prepare something before meeting.
- Be clear about your expectations. Ask them to prepare 3 ideas to you before tell them what your opinion is, ask input before make decision, ask them to ask you before you ask them, ask all the time. Its not that Indonesian lazy and doesn’t initiative, but thats just how we work.
- Be careful about what you say. Event passing idea sometimes can be perceived as you already made decision.
What can you say to her? Is this important? How could this bring a better tomorrow for you.
Perhaps that was her attempt to looking for an answer to the questions that you both don’t know at the same time. It’s certainly meaningful and kind gesture, but meaning varies with a spatial scale and you are of insufficient of space.
So you conclude that yes, it might be important, but it’s impossible and not right. That is why you are now hunkered down silently on the surface of this noiseless planet, whispering through slow orbit, trying not to draw attention to yourselves.
– David Eagleman, Sum
- It’s necessary evil. Get used to it.
- Don’t be rude. Left your phone. Close your laptop.
- Bad meeting schedule is worse than bad meeting.
- Keep it shorter than 1 hour.
- Make a note. Assign time and people who responsible for a particular subject that you discuss in the meeting. Share the note afterward.
I saw this video a few years ago and it’s somehow keep sticking in my head. Might be from the rage and admiration of all those beautiful food being torn apart in one moment of chaos.
So how to know when you start to advertise then?
Get a metric across the whole product and validate your assumption by experimenting in 9-10 different content type in 2-3 months. If something seems like a good hit, you can start advertise, and then validate the result against the metric again.
“Do you know that he would do that?” Dion asked you without warning.
“No idea,” you said.
“Apparently he intend to do it all this time, and probably would look for other guy.”
“Whoa.” you shook your head and look at him in disbelief.
You discuss about it with him for a more couple of minutes. The blazing sun scorching the ground with menace, but there is a strange feel of comfort to talk while you are not in the office building. It made you feel detached a little bit from the work and become everyday person. Not a worker, not a role, not a man in mission. Just you.
“How long you would work here?” Dion shoot again.
Taken off guard, you pause for a moment. “I don’t know”.
“Huh” Dion reply back.
You know you don’t know. You have this common 21st century experience where you never stay in the same place for more than two year. Its what this generation taught you : fight the stagnation. Don’t embrace status quo. Keep moving and changing. Keep shaking things and you will feel young all the time.
You already have five different company in the last 10 years. Five. Thats you go against inertia isn’t. Its what you ought to do. And if that’s five would change into six – or more, then its normal.
The wind start shifting and you take another sip. Delicious lemon, you thought. Since when you keep having this double lemon thing? You can’t remember but you do know that you’ve been in SoftwareSeni for 3 years. Thats quite a long time in one company huh?
It was a soft and gentle reminder that the last 3 years is a time well spent. The team is fantastic, you drive the standard and culture moving forward, and you amass tons of knowledge while being here.
Wait. Is it you just being in your comfort zone, you cringe again? 5 roles though. While its been 3 years, you have five different role along that years and witness a lot of change within that time frame.
“I take it back, I will stay here in a very very long time”.
You take another sip on the lemon and shake the glass with a hum. Not a too shabby three years and you have that feeling that you are just about to get starting.
- You should avoid focusing on getting customer to buy from you and instead concentrate on how customer make purchase decisions. This might be like a minor distinction but its actually profound one and fundamental to the B2B seller practitioner.
- You should tightly align your sales and marketing teams to support the customer journey from start to finish – breaking down the historical barriers between those functions in the process. As a result you would create consistent and relevant tools, messaging and guidance to shape and simplify the purchase journey, drives sales and ultimately increase customer loyalty.